Water Safety Flag with Cork County Council
Cork Sports Partnership, on behalf of Cork County Council, is currently accepting expressions of interest for the Water Safety Awareness programme from primary and secondary schools in Cork County.
Over 45 Water Safety Flags were awarded to Cork schools so far in 2015 and feedback from these successful schools has been overwhelmingly positive.
The Cork County Council Water Safety Awareness Flag is a programme for Primary & Post Primary Schools actively promoting safety around water. The fundamentals are based on the Irish Water Safety Primary Aquatics Water Safety (PAWS) Programme.
The programme provides a FUN & INTERACTIVE introduction to awareness of personal safety around water for children of all ages. It combines teamwork, skill, reflection, and the opportunity to participate in experiential learning through interactive activities, board games, card games, books, worksheets, art, project work & presentations.
Irish Water Safety Statistics:
- 114 people drowned in 2014 – 6 were children aged 14 and under. The drowning statistics for 2014 reflect the importance of uninterrupted child supervision and appeal for people to take training before pursuing aquatic activities. Also the need for education in schools through fun filled, practical & experiential activities which provide learning outcomes for a lifetime.
What is involved in the programme?
There are a number of steps for schools to secure their places on the programme.
- Stage 1: Schools register to participate in the Water Safety Flag Programme by filling out the form below and return it to Cork Sports Partnership
- Stage 2: Registration will be acknowledged as soon as possible by the Cork County Council Water Safety Development Officer (WSDO)
- Stage 3: Date, time & classes to participate will be agreed between the school and the WSDO
- Stage 4: Programme is rolled out in the school as agreed in advance
- Stage 5: Sustainability of Water Safety Commitment in the school is discussed & agreed. All stages are completed in a practical manner with the least amount of disruption to the school day as possible. The learning outcomes are invaluable for the pupil’s everyday lives.
- Stage 6: Flag raising ceremony at the school & Jotter Club Kit Awarded.
So what resources does my school get in return for taking part in the programme?
- 1 x Water Safety Flag
- 4 x Board Games based on Water Safety Fundamentals.
- 1 x Board Game based on Road Safety & the Safe Cross Code.
- 1 x Road Safety Loop Card Game
- 1 x Water Safety Card Game
- 1 x Reader “Sally & Jake Wise up around Water”
- 4 Worksheets to go with the reader.
- Irish Water Safety PAWS pack with posters, leaflets, magazine & CD .
- Cork Co. Council Certificates for all Flag participants
- Jotter Club Materials. See * below.
How much does the programme cost?
The programme is FREE to participating schools. However, schools are required to commit to actively promoting water safety in their school outside of the programme. The programme is funded by Cork County Council. PAWS resources are provided by Irish Water Safety.
How do I sign my school up for the programme?
If you are viewing this page from a mobile device and the above form is displaying jumbled, please turn your mobile device horizontal.
If you would rather submit a hard copy to register for the programme, download by clicking here.
I want to show someone else in my school the programme before signing up...
Click here to download programme outline, application form, sustainability requirements.